Practice Area

The Susan Hicks Group PC represents clients in all aspects of Family Law and Divorce.

Fairfax Divorce Lawyers

Even if you are going through an amicable divorce, it's important to contact an attorney early in the process. In the long run, it's easier and less expensive to have a lawyer guide you through the legal steps rather than try to correct mistakes later.

The Susan Hicks Group represents clients in Fairfax, Loudoun, Alexandria and other communities in northern Virginia in all issues relating to divorce, including child custody, child support, spousal support and property division. Our lawyers handle high-asset, high-conflict divorce cases, as well as uncontested divorce cases.

Protecting Your Interests in a Virginia Divorce

One of the requirements to get a divorce in Virginia that many people misunderstand is separation. Unless you are filing for divorce based on a fault ground, you have to prove to a judge that:

  • You have been living separate and apart physically for at least one year (or six months if you have no minor children), and
  • You have formed the mental intent to remain apart permanently, and maintained that intent for at least one year.

The requirement that you live separate and apart does not mean simply that you have separate bedrooms. If one spouse does not move from the house, you will need to prove that you did not act as husband and wife in any way during that year long period. You also will need a witness other than your spouse to corroborate that you have been living apart and that you have had the intent to divorce.

During the year that you and your spouse are living apart, our attorneys can help you negotiate a settlement agreement for property division, child custody, child support and spousal support and other issues. Our lawyers also can assist you with temporary orders while you are living apart.

Contact Our Alexandria and Loudoun Separation Attorneys

For more information, or to schedule a consultation with our Fairfax divorce attorneys, call 703-468-0193 or fill out our online form.